Archive for December, 2013
One last pattern from Aimee Alexander and Polka Dot Sheep Publications for this year! Snow Ghost, a two color stranded knit hat…
Isn’t it beautiful? I am rather smitten with Snow Ghost and am planning my colors at this moment. The pictured hat is knit in Cascade 220 Sport and we stock over 40 colors. So that makes it a bit challenging and that is just in one yarn choice. There are other sport weight yarns in stock as well. So there are no shortage of color combinations or yarns.
The Snow Ghost hat is sized small, medium and large. Rather than having differing stitch counts for each size, there is a change in gauge in each size. So you will need determine your desired size and then swatch to determine if your needle choice give you the desired gauge for that size.
The Snow Ghost has a knit in hem like many of Aimee’s other designs. This gives a smooth finish and a good fit. It also adds extra warmth around the ears especially.
The hat is fully charted out with three charts, one for brim, one for body and one for the decrease section. There are two sets of these charts, one with a dark background color and the other with a light background color. The pictured hat is a dark background example.
Here are the details:
Yardage: Main color (background color) – 150 yards (140 m), contrast color – 130 yards (120 m)
Sizes: small (medium, large)
Gauge: 28 (26, 24) stitches to 4 in / 10 cm in pattern and blocked
Needles: 16″ (40 cm) circular needle and double points in the same size as follows: US 3 (4, 5) / 3.25 (3.5, 3.75) mm for small (medium, large)
As you determine your size, we recommend 1 -2 inches / 2.5 – 5 cm of negative ease for best fit. Finished circumferences are 18 (19.5, 21) in / 46 (50, 54) cm. The small should fit an older child too.
I think the other thing I love about this hat is that the design really would work for anyone, male or female. Maybe it is time to indulge that secret desire to make something matching for you and your partner. You could reverse the colors on the second hat so there is subtle change or maybe you will go with different main colors but the same contrast.
So get your copy of Snow Ghost now on Ravelry (you don’t have to be a member to purchase a pattern).
Now you might also be wonder “What is a Snow Ghost?”. They are trees that are completed coated with snow and then a layer of ice. They occur on Big Mountain which is the ski mountain in Whitefish Montana where Polka Dot Sheep is physically located. Here is a fun little article on them. If you go to Whitefish Mountain Resort’s Instagram page you will see some great pictures with snow ghosts. So that’s where the name inspiration of the hat came from, our own backyard.
Join our new Ravelry group for all your questions and answers about Polka Dot Sheep Publications designs including Snow Ghost. This really is the best place to go for support. Also share your finished projects, we love to see the creative of our customers.
Thank you for hanging out with us in 201.3. It has been an adventure with lots of yarn, patterns, and knitting of course.
Shower the yarn lovers, knitters and crocheters in your life with some love with these gift ideas!
1. Something with sparkles ~ Anzula Nebula, a hand dyed fingering weight yarn with sparkles.
2. Interchangeable Needle Sets ~We have a number of options available.
3. Something that does good in the world ~ Knit Collage Gypsy Garden or Daisy Chain. The spinning of this unique art yarn provides opportunities for economic advancement for women in the Punjab of India.
4. Yarn Bowls ~ Locally made in the Flathead Valley of Montana by Pomegranate Studio and Whitefish Pottery
5. Gift Certificates ~ Available at Polkadotsheep.com or by calling the Knit ‘n Needle at 888.262.6396.
6. Laura Nelkin Jewelry Kits
8. Two colors of Classic Elite Toboggan , Watkins Hat Pattern and Clover large pom pom makers. Hat sizes: baby, toddler, child, adult small, adult large). Baby, toddler, child and adult small all require one skein of each color of Toboggan yarn, adult large requires two skeins of one color and one of the other color.
10. Something exclusive to Polka Dot Sheep and the Knit ‘n Needle Yarn Shoppe ~ PDS Sport. Hand dyed in Whitefish Montana for Polka Dot Sheep.
I hope you enjoy this year’s version of our Holiday Gift Guide. If you want to use it to hint to family and friends, just forward it on to them or share it on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Remember we have FREE shipping on orders over $50 (US), $6 flat rate shipping on all other orders in the US and $10 flat rate shipping to Canada.
Enjoy and happy holiday knitting!