Yarn and More Yarn
Wow, we have had a flood of new yarns lately. Great colors, great fiber blends and new companies to Polka Dot Sheep! I am in yarn heaven to be honest. I love introducing people to new yarns and trying new yarns myself. I have my favorites but I am always on the look out for opportunities to use something new.
I must admit, I am absolutely smitten with this yarn. It is just beautiful. It is a unique blend of 60% merino, 20% baby alpaca, and 20% silk. There are lovely little slubs in Acadia that knits up to an interesting texture. Plain stockinette stitch has a “tweedy” look but it doesn’t feel like a tweed yarn. The Fibre Company yarns are kettle dyed. Currently we have 12 colors in stock (with more on the way).
- DK weight
- 145 yards (133 yards) / 50 grams skein
- Gauge: 20 – 24 stitches over 4″ (10 cm) on US 5-6 needles
- $13.00 a skein
Anzula is one of the hottest new hand dying companies out there today. Their colors are gorgeous. We are thrilled to bring you Cricket, their DK weight superwash 80% merino, 10% cashmere and 10% nylon blend (aka MCN). As a round, multi-ply yarn, Cricket is perfect for cables or anything that needs vivid stitch definition. The nylon will give it great durability and the superwash makes it easy to care for. Of course, we love hand dyed yarns very much here at Polka Dot Sheep so this is a great addition our hand dyed yarn selection.
- DK weight
- 250 yards (228 m) / 100 grams skein
- 20 stitches over 4″ (10 cm) on US 6
- $32.50 a skein
This 100% wool yarn is absolutely perfect for your color work projects. Whether you want to knit a simple two color hat or a many hued fair isle sweater, you are sure to find the color you need because we have 62 colors in stock. The Cascade 220 line of yarns have a great reputation for quality. Sport weight is a really versatile weight especially for the spring or fall season garments. Cascade 220 Sport is also a great yarn for babies and children by offering the warmth of wool without the bulk. Because it is not superwashed, it is perfect for keeping little hands and heads dry and warm with the unique water-resistant properties of wool.
- Sport weight
- 164 yards (150 m) / 50 grams skein
- 22-24 stitches over 4″ (10 cm) on US 4-5
- $5.00 a skein
Any of these yarns could be part of the perfect Christmas gift for your knitting loved ones. Here are a few ideas for gifting.
- A selection of Cascade 220 Sport colors arrayed like a box of paints waiting to be used.
- Pair yarn with a pattern like a kit. (see some suggestions below).
- Just stuff a skein of Cricket in someone’s stocking. They will smile I promise.
- Any yarn makes great stocking stuffers really….
Here are a few patterns paired with these new yarns:
- Loch Lomond, Ben Lomond, Lassie or Laddie Lomond fingerless mitts with Cascade 220 Sport or Anzula Cricket
- Let It Snow! Ski Hat with Acadia
- Almond Scarves by Dagmar Mora with Cricket
- Barleycove boot cuffs with Cascade 220 Sport
- Charisse cardigan by Jennifer Wood in Cricket
- Little Boy Blue Vest by Jennifer Wood in Acadia
- Emerald Cowl by Andrea Rangel in Acadia
- 7 Christmas Balls in Cascade 220 Sport (pattern written for fingering, so use a needle size up one, balls will be a little larger) Great gift topper!
Feel free to send links to this blog posts as a hint or even suggestion for gift ideas to your loved ones.
Remember we are also having a KAL for the Lomond Collection of fingerless mitts mentioned above right now. Plenty of time to join us and make at least one pair before Christmas! Great excuse to try out one of these yarns and do a little gift knitting at the same time. Read about the KAL here and on Ravelry.
Have fun knitting! Don’t stress too much with holiday making. Remember it is to be joyful and life-giving (not drudgery).
Happy holiday knitting season!